July 22: Feast day of Mary Magdalene; Pi Approximation Day
[[File:|| | yes | | |120}} }}px |Leopold III of Belgium ]]
Leopold III of Belgium
- 838 – Arab–Byzantine wars: The forces of the Abbasid Caliphate defeated Byzantine Empire troops, led by Emperor Theophilos himself, at the Battle of Anzen near present-day Dazman, Turkey.
- 1894 – Despite finishing in first place in the world's first auto race, Jules-Albert de Dion did not win, as his steam-powered car was against the rules.
- 1950 – Following an indecisive referendum, King Leopold III (pictured), accused of collaboration with Nazi Germany, returned to Belgium, beginning an escalation of the political crisis known as the Royal Question.
- 1991 – American serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, after police discovered human remains in his apartment.
- 2002 – The Israeli Defense Forces dropped a bomb on the home of Salah Shehade, the leader of the military arm of Hamas, killing him and his family.